My father used to say two quotes all the time. “Walk softly and carry a big stick,” and “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade “
As someone who is accustomed to working from home, I have some things down pat during the work week. But during a quarantine, things are very different. We all have a lot of extra time on our hands.
For some, stockpiling toilet paper makes them feel more in control in a time when we are all feeling a bit out of control. Try to do things that make you feel a bit more in control of your daily life.
During this time, here are some things you can do whether you are looking for a job or not.
- Update your resume.
- Update your portfolio site – no excuses. Anyone who is a writer or designer needs to do this.
- Connect with others on LinkedIn. Particularly those who work at companies you want to work for. Beefing up your connections with critical people in your industry is like vitamin C for your career.
- Take the time to research the companies you are interested in.
- Learn a new skill. Get Google Analytics-certified, learn Photoshop. LinkedIn Learning is offering a free month.
- Make a list of goals. It doesn’t have to be Jan 1st to set goals. Revamp the ones you made or create a fresh new list.
- Create a new Pinterest page with motivational quotes. Refer back to this when you need a boost, or as I do, daily to level set my day.
- Organize your desk and job search (if applicable).
- Read up on what is going on in your industry. Staying current is critical.
- Back up your computers.
We will get through this.