Last week I met with a brand manager who has been on the job hunt for several months. She was focused, present, energetic and positive. And she looked great, too! So, I asked her what’s she been doing, and she attributed her presence and energy to taking great care of herself.
Of course! Self-care! So, between this conversation and a recent renewal retreat I attended at Kripalu, I started thinking about how self-care during a job search is so vital to a person’s well-being, and ultimately, landing a job.
- With self-care, we honor our self-worth, which in turn helps support true confidence and self-esteem.
- Looking for a job is stressful. Self-care can renew and restore our energy.
- Self-care leads to greater well-being and vitality, which help us reach our true potential.
The four areas of self-care are physical, emotional, spiritual and mental.
- Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Exercising to keep your energy up and stress down
- Take time to talk with a close friend
- Be kind to yourself
- Seek out support from a professional – coach, counselor or therapist
- Write your feelings and thoughts in a daily journal
- Go have fun with a loved one or friend – laughing is healthy
- Take time to be with yourself to think and/or write
- Get outside and enjoy nature
- Pray, meditate or be grateful for all the wonderful things in your life
- Be creative: paint, photograph, dance, sing
- Volunteer for a worthy cause
- Read a great book or see a movie
- Develop a skill or hobby
- Take a class or join a group on a topic that interests you
- Challenge yourself to learn something new – get out of your comfort zone
Taking the time to take care of yourself can seem impossible, but it is such a good thing to do, especially during a job search. It takes commitment and discipline, so take small, doable steps. The benefits you will reap are so worth it and may even land you a job!